Nayef bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud
2011 Bahrain protests
The BBC's Bill Law reported in March 2011 that Prince Nayef was a key player in Saudi Arabia's intervention against a wave of protests in neighbouring Bahrain:
- Two weeks ago, I was told by a source in Riyadh close to the interior minister Prince Nayef, that the ruling House of Saud simply would not allow the Khalifahs to fall.
- The Saudi royals are increasingly worried that if the Khalifahs give in to the pro-democracy movement, a Shia-led government will come to power in Bahrain.
- That would put further pressure on the House of Saud to ease discrimination against Shia in the country's oil-rich Eastern Province.
- Who's who: Senior Saudis, BBC News, 30 October 2007.
- FACTBOX - Prince Nayef one of most powerful Saudi princes, Reuters, 21 November 2010.
- Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Nayef dies, BBC News, 16 June 2012.
- Bill Law, Splits inside Bahrain's ruling al-Khalifah family, BBC News, 16 March 2011.