Back to Lobbying Portal
MHP Communications was formed by its parent company Engine in September 2010 by bringing together its Mandate Communications, Hogarth and Penrose Financial brands. It is one of the UK's largest PR companies.
Mandate, now part of MHP is a public relations and public affairs consultancy with offices in London and Washington. Mandate was created by bringing together AS Biss and Republic PR. It is part of The Engine Group.
Mandate management and lobbyists in 2009:
- Sacha Deshmukh, Chief Executive
- Jane Howard, Chairman
- Gavin Devine, Managing Director. Former senior civil servant in the House of Commons before joining AS Biss in 2004. He provides senior strategic advice to a wide range of clients, principally in the planning, transport, energy, major infrastructure and environmental sectors.
- Sir Brian Bender- Senior Adviser to Mandate Communications from July 2010, then non-executive Director from 1 October 2010. Bender was a former top Whitehall mandarin, his last position before leaving the civil service in April 2009 was Permanent Secretary Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform. The Advisory Committee on Business Appointments granted him 'unconditional approval to take up this role. 
MHP has a growing health sector practice.
- Mike Birtwistle, Director. Birtwistle leads Mandate's health practice. He is an active member of the Labour party and worked for the Government during the 2001 general election on health policy communication.
- Guy Lavis. It was reported in September 2010 that Guy Lavis will take a senior role in the agency’s health practice "as it looks to step up its focus on NHS commissioning processes and engage more closely with GPs. Lavis joins from Capita, which partnered the Department of Health to produce NHS Choices, the department’s flagship public website for patient choice. PR Week reported: "The new focus has been prompted by the Government’s plans to overhaul the NHS, putting GPs in charge of local budgets and commissioning. The plans mean GPs working in groups will be in charge of a vast collection of hospital, mental health and community services."Mike Birtwistle of MHP told PR Week:
- "Guy’s strength in engaging with GPs will be particularly important as GP consortia assume responsibility for the commissioning of NHS services in the new world.
- Richard Sloggett, account manager Health. Formerly of agency New Century Media, where he worked for ‘tele-healthcare’ clients as an account manager in its political comms team, Sloggett started his career in the House of Commons in 2006 as a researcher to the Conservative Party’s then-shadow work and pensions secretary Philip Hammond MP (now transport secretary). He subsequently worked for Joanne Cash, the unsuccessful Conservative parliamentary candidate for Westminster North at May 2010’s general election. Sloggett has also formerly worked for City PR firm Brunswick Group.
MHP's health sector clients (to August 2010): Abbott Laboratories, AstraZeneca, Bayer Schering Pharma, Beating Bowel Cancer, Blood Cancers Alliance, British In-Vitro Diagnostics Association, Cancer Campaigning Group, Company Chemists Association, Association of Independent Multiple Pharmacies, Diabetes UK, Ellipse, Grunenthal, Hoffmann-La Roche, IMS Health, Janssen-Cilag, Lundbeck, Macmillan Cancer Support, Myeloma UK, National Ankylosing Spondylitis Society, NHS Pathology, Organ Donation Coalition, Pharmaceutical Oncology Initiative, PharmaMar, Prostate Cancer Charter for Action, Prostate Cancer Charity, Royal College of Radiologists, Rarer Cancers Foundation, Roche Products Limited, Royal College of Surgeons, Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation, UK Lung Cancer Coalition,
Clients at the end of 2008 include:
Abbott Laboratories Limited | Andrex (Kimberly-Clark) | Associated Newspapers | Badenoch & Clark | BGB | British In-Vitro Diagnostics Association | BMT Group | Bristol-Myers Squibb | British Acupuncture Council | British Chambers of Commerce | British Horseracing Authority | British Marine Federation | British Orthopaedic Association | Business Link London | Cadbury | Genworth Financial | Gypsum Recycling International | Hartnell Taylor Cook | H Bronnley and Co | Healthy Direct | Hepatitis B Foundation | Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust | IMS Health | Infant and Dietetic Foods Association | Institute for Family Business | Investland Group | Jet2.com | John Lewis Partnership | Kimberly-Clark Corporate | Kimberly-Clark Healthcare | Kleenex | OneSearch Direct | OPP | Ordnance Survey | Outdoor Advertising Association | Pafilia Property Developers | Pharmaceutical Oncology Initiative | Pharma Mar | Premier League | Prostate Cancer Charter for Action | RLF | Rarer Cancers Forum | Roche Diagnostics | Roche Products | Royal College of Radiologists | Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Trust | RSPCA | Rugby Football League | Cadogan Tate | Camelot Group | Charity Commission | Chartered Institute for Patent Attorneys | Climate Strategies | Clear Channel | Clinical Solutions | Concentra | CORGI | Council for Administration | Cross London Rail Links | Croydon College | Dave | Department for Children, Schools and Families | EADS Defence and Security | Eagle Star Estates | EDF Energy | England and Wales Cricket Board | English UK | Enterprise Rent-A-Car | Football Association | Football Foundation | KPMG | Kyp Systems | Landsbanki Depositors Action Group | Lawn Tennis Association | LeasePlan UK | Liberata | Licensed Taxi Drivers Association | London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games | London’s Taxi Network | Lymphoma Association | Martha Schwartz | Mass Athens | Multiport | National Accident Helpline | Nationwide Building Society | National House Building Council | Network Rail | Norman Disney & Young | Olympic Delivery Authority | Rugby Football Union | Sanofi-aventis | Stagecoach Rail | Tandberg | The Association of National Specialist Colleges | The Dart Group | The Deposit Protection Service | The Engine Group | The Kingswood Group | The REaD Group | The Survey Association | UK COAL | UK Lung Cancer Coalition | UPP Projects | Visit London | Wolverine World Wide | Woods Bagot | Zurich Financial Services | (UKISA) Ltd | Zurich Municipal
Clients second quarter 2009: Mandate Communications, APPC Register Entry for 1 June 2009 to 31 August 2009
60 Great Portland Street,
London, W1W 7RT
- Mandate website, accessed Jan 2009
- Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (ACoBA) Annual Report 2010-2011
- National Prostate Cancer Conference, 2004, Speaker's Biographies
- PR Week Mandate Communications hands senior role to former NHS Choices comms chief,27 September 2010
- Guy Lavis, Linked in profile, accessed October 2010
- Public Affairs News, [pointer=10&cHash=0b36b43e23 Ex-Tory researcher takes account manager role with Mandate Communications’ health wing], 13 July 2010
- APPC register to November 2008