LM network: Bibliography
| LM network resources
This page compiles articles, blog posts, pamphlets and other writing on the LM network. It includes work by associates of the network and those of its critics. Additional materials are welcome.
Articles on the RCT/RCP and the LM network
- Idrees Ahmad and David Miller, The Palestine Anti-Solidarity Movement: Spiked’s Coverage of Israel and Palestine, Spinwatch, 14 July 2011.
- Jon Alexander, Beware the Institute of Ideas Conservation-Economy, 1 Nov 2010
- Andy Beckett, 'Licence to rile', The Guardian, 15 May 1999.
- Graham Barnfield Internet dating, The Loneliest Jukebox, no date, but posted between 17 and 23 February 2006.
- BBC News, 'ITN wins bosnian war libel case', 15 March 2000
- Andrew Billen, "A prickly opinion on just about everything" (profile of Claire Fox), The Times, December 17, 2002.
- Bob from Brockley (pseudonym) Triangulating Bobism 2: The Furedi cult, Wednesday, September 29, 2010
- Martin Bright, 'Civilised debates at the ICA and the RCP...', New Statesman, 13 February 2007
- Chris Bunting, 'What's a nice Trot doing in a place like this', Times Higher Education Supplement", 28 January 2005 (log-in required).
- Michael Burleigh, 'Fear and Trembling', The New York Sun, 26 December 2007.
- Alex Callinicos 'Politics or Abstract Propagandism?' International Socialism, 2(11), Winter 1981: 111-128.
- David Campbell Atrocity, memory, photography: imaging the concentration camps of Bosnia – the case of ITN versus Living Marxism
- Alexander Cockburn (with Phillip Knightley's 1998 excerpts), 'Storm Over Brockes' Fakery', Counterpunch, November 5/6, 2005
- Nick Cohen, 'THE SECRET REVOLUTION: Hold on a minute. . .' The Observer October 26, 1998
- Nick Cohen, 'Hold on a minute...: The Nazis had a word for it' The Observer November 1, 1998, News Page; Pg. 32
- Nick Cohen, "The rebels who changed their tune to be pundits", New Statesman, 12 August 2002
- Nick Cohen, 'Double Entryism' New Humanist, Nov/Dec 2006.
- Nick Cohen 'Debating Humanism by Dolan Cummings (eds) New Humanist, Volume 121 Issue 6 November/December 2006.
- Nick Cohen 'Long March to the Microphone', Standpoint July/ August 2010.
- Nathan Coombs, 'The Bankruptcy of Spiked's liberal humanism', Nathan Coombs blog 4 November 2008.
- Guy Debord's Cat (pseudonym), 'The LM Network and the idea of free speech', Guy Debord's Cat 8 August 2010.
- Thomas Deichmann, 'The picture that fooled the world', LM Magazine, issue 97, February 1997
- Will Deighton UK election: How Zac Goldsmith bought the green movement, Forth, Mon 29 Mar, 2010
- Jim Denham, 'RCP hegemonise the Moral Maze', Shiraz Socialist, June 2008
- Michael Ezra, 'From the Vaults: Revolutionary Communist Party, 1983', Harry's Place 18 February 2011
- Eddie Ford Farewell, Living Marxism Weekly Worker, No. 344, July 13 2000.
- Mike Freeman '"Self-activity" makes you blind: A reply to Alex Callinicos and the SWP', World in Recession Revolutionary Communist Papers, No 7 July 1981. p. 22-26
- Gimpy A grumble on the poor quality of a libertarian discourse on passive smoking, Gimpy's Blog, June 21, 2009.
- Zac Goldsmith, 'So Much for 'Sense' About Science', The Guardian, 5 January 2010
- Jim Grant, WTBLS, Appendix 2: Talk to Frank, Tragic Life Stories, 19 Sept 2008
- John Green, 'Culture - Books - Crisis of authority, in schools as in society; John Green calls for more realistic solutions to rectify everything that is wrong with education in Britain', Review of Wasted: Why Education Isn't Educating by Frank Furedi (Continuum, £14.99) Morning Star January 5, 2010 Tuesday.
- Tony Greenstein Anti-Zionism is Not Anti-Semitism What Next Journal, 2009.
- Tony Greenstein Spiked by Spiked Tony Greenstein's Blog Monday, 16 March 2009
- The Guardian, 'Now for the moment of truth', 21 February 2000.
- The Guardian, "Letters Living Marxism and the Serbs", 17 March 2002
- Danny Hammill, RCP's designer liquidationism, Weekly Worker 230, March 5 1998, version placed in web archive 7 Mar 2007, acc in web archive 28 Apr 2010
- Luke Harding, 'Second Front: A Shot That's Still Ringing', The Guardian, 12 March 1997.
- Johann Hari We'll save the planet only if we're forced to The Independent, Thursday, 21 February 2008.
- Patrick Harrington, 'LM and Censorship', Third Way, January 30, 2008
- Julia Hartley-Brewer, 'ITN reporter 'bent over backwards for accuracy'', The Guardian, 1 March 2000
- Julia Hartley-Brewer, 'One man band with 'big mouth and broad mind', The Guardian, 15 March 2000.
- James Heartfield, 'Marx on Native Americans', Ethnological notebooks, 2 January 1998
- James Heartfield, 'Interview', marxmail.org, June 1998
- James Heartfield, 'Dave Hallsworth' Obituary, Guardian, 20 December 2007
- Leo Hickman, 'Airport expansion protests set for take-off', The Guardian, 18 February 2009.
- Murray Hogarth, 'Seeing red over attack on greens', Sydney Morning Herald (Australia), 29 July 1998.
- Mick Hume, 'The end of LM Magazine. Statement by Mick Hume, Editor', 29 March 2000
- Stuart Jeffries, 'Infamy's child - Claire Fox Interview', The Guardian, 19 November 2005
- Oliver Kamm, "Living Marxism and Tory Sleaze", 13 December 2003
- Oliver Kamm, 'Scoundrel Time', The Times, 2 January 2004
- Dominic Lawson, 'Here's a question for you: whose life is it anyway?', Daily Telegraph, 17 October 2004
- Adam Lebor, 'The Media: Marx wars - The challenges facing the new magazine, Living Marxism', The Guardian, 16 January 1989.
- Adam Lebor, 'Distinguishing Marx from perestroika: Mr Gorbachev leaves our own revolutionaries cold', The Independent, 5 April 1989.
- Gerry Leversha Some Reflections on the 'Revolutionary Communist Group', Marxism Today, January 1978.
- LM Magazine, 'Press statement: ITN tries to gag LM', 21:00 24 January 1997
- LM Magazine, 'Press release to accompany Deichmann article', 25 January 1997
- Alex Lockwood Five reasons Brendan O'Neill is wrong Alexlockwood.net website 15 July 2008
- Lobbywatch, Interview with George Monbiot about the LM group, 11 April 2007, archived on GMWatch website
- LobbyWatch LM Watch
- Naomi Mc Women just aren’t funny, while patriarchy is hilarious, Vagina Dentata, SUNDAY, 21 JUNE 2009.
- Chris McGreal, "Genocide? What genocide?", The Guardian, 20 March 2000
- Ken Macleod, Battle of Ideas The Early Days of a Better Nation Friday, November 06, 2009 Posted 12:20 PM.
- Ken MacLeod Where do you get your (Battle of) Ideas from? The Early Days of a Better Nation Thursday, November 10, 2011, Posted 5:49 PM.
- John McVicar, The Scoop that Folded a Magazine Punch, 29 May 2000.
- Brian Micklethwait, "Revolutionary Communist Party as in Living Marxism as in LM as in Spiked and Institute of Ideas - I agree with George Monbiot: who are these people?", 13 December 2003
- Peter Melchett, 'Clear intentions', The Guardian, 19 April 2007
- David Miller and Claire Robinson, On hidden agendas, the LM network and SpinWatch: A Response to Will Deighton, Spinwatch, 5 May 2010
- Don Milligan, Radical Amnesia and the RCP, Reflections of a Renegade, January 8, 2008.
- Don Millligan, Down with Cultural Signifiers!, Off the cuff!, 22 March 2012.
- Don Milligan “My mother made me a homosexual.”, Off the cuff!, 15 April 2012.
- George Monbiot, 'The Revolution Has Been Televised: Channel 4’s Against Nature series turns out to have been made by an obscure and cranky sect The Guardian 18th December 1997.
- George Monbiot, 'Far Left Or Far Right? Living Marxism’s interesting allegiances' Published in Prospect Magazine, November 1998
- George Monbiot, 'Living Marxism: Festering Fascism?' Published in Prospect Magazine, November 1998
- George Monbiot, 'Invasion of the Entryists', Guardian (UK), Tuesday December 9, 2003.
- George Monbiot, "Freedom for whom?" Times Higher Education Supplement, 11 February 2005.
- George Monbiot, 'Flying Over The Cuckoo’s Nest: How did Marxist class warriors end up fighting for the bosses’ right to fly?' Published in the Guardian, 13th January 2009.
- George Monbiot, 'This is indeed a class war, and the campaign against the Aga starts here', The Guardian, 13 January 2009.
- George Monbiot, 'Rightwing climate change deniers are all for free speech - when it suits them', Guardian Unlimited January 13, 2010 Wednesday.
- George Monbiot, 'Left and libertarian right cohabit in the weird world of the genocide belittlers', The Guardian, 13 June 2011.
- Andrew Murray, 'The politics of smear and sneer', The Guardian, 4 April 2006.
- Steve Myers M-TH: Latest LM Analysed. Marxism-Thaxis mailing list, Estevm at aol.com Estevm at aol.com Mon Nov 9 13:30:37 MST 1998
- Necessary Agitation "Inside Modern Movement", Necessary Agitation website, accessed 6 August 2010.
- Michael Mosbacher, 'What is it about London mayors and Marxist sects?', The Social Affairs Unit, May 2008.
- Andrew Newman The great RCP swindle Socialist Unity Blog, 7 March 2007.
- Andrew Newman More on the intellectual laziness of the RCP Socialist Unity website 10 March 2007
- Andy Newman Rise Festival - Unite pulls funding - RCP dances for Boris, Socialist Unity blog, @ 2:44 pm 18 June, 2008
- Helge Ogrim Battle of Ideas, is the Revolutionary Communist Party still the vanguard? Norwegian Affairs, NOVEMBER 6, 2010 · 11:49 AM
- Brendan O'Neill 'The Independent, Big Oil and Me', Spiked, Tuesday 4 march 2008.
- Observer Staff John Simpson: I was on wrong side in Bosnia death camps libel trial The Observer, Sunday 22 April 2012.
- David Pallister, John Vidal and Kevin Maguire, 'Life after Living Marxism: Fighting for freedom - to offend, outrage and question everything", Guardian (UK), Saturday July 8, 2000.
- David Pallister, John Vidal and Kevin Maguire, "Life after Living Marxism: Banning the bans", The Guardian, July 8, 2000.
- Charlie Pottins, Academic Detachment, Charlie Pottins blog entry, Oct 15, 2005, acc 28 May 2010
- Charlie Pottins, Taking the Rise out of London Monday, July 14, 2008.
- Charlie Pottins "Don't I know you?" (or what Katie did) RandomPottins, SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2010, accessed 10 January 2010
- Alex Powney Party On, Comrade!, Fatwah, Circa 2002, Retrieved from the Internet Archive of 27 November 2004.
- Press Gazette, The Battle of Ideas: It's a twisted old battlefield Press Gazette, 3 November 2006
- Matthew Price, "Raving Marxism", Lingua Franca, March 1999.
- Louis Proyect Norman Levitt, spiked-online and the Sokal Affair Louis Proyect -The Unrepentant Marxist, October 17, 2005
- Louis Proyect Spiked-online update Louis Proyect -The Unrepentant Marxist, November 4, 2005
- Louis Proyect Spiked online denies corporate funding charges Louis Proyect -The Unrepentant Marxist, 24 February 2006.
- Louis Proyect Alexander Cockburn gets Spiked Louis Proyect -The Unrepentant Marxist, 1 December 2007.
- Louis Proyect Cockburn Contrariainism, Louis Proyect -The Unrepentant Marxist, 28 January 2008.
- Louis Proyect Was Enron “Green”? Louis Proyect -The Unrepentant Marxist, May 7, 2008
- Louis Proyect Spiked online’s obsession with “anti-Semitism” Louis Proyect -The Unrepentant Marxist, 31 January 2009.
- Dave Renton 7 February: the new socialism of fools, 7 February 2006.
- Dave Renton Living Marxism, spiked online and the RCP Temporary Hoarding, 4/8 March 2006.
- RCG 'Statement on the expulsion of a chauvinist grouping in the RCG', RCG Executive Committee, Nov 1976
- Revolutionary Communist Group, Press statement, 14 October 1979 and Supplement 19 October 1979 On conflict with the RCT.
- RCG Revolutionary Communist Group statement on the march called by the Revolutionary Communist Tendency on 24 November 1979 which launched the Smash the Prevention of Terrorism Act Campaign
- Revolutionary Communist Group 'RCP use violence to stifle debate' Fight Racism! Fight Imperialism!, Statement on IFM conference in Leeds, February 1983
- Claire Robinson and Jonathan Matthews Rotten to the corp Science in Society 21, Spring 2003An expose of biotech's new corporate warriors who promote their agenda by infiltrating the science-media establishment and by using smear tactics borrowed from America's far-right.
- Reuben Rosenberg, My prediction proves correct: Brendan O’Neill claims that anger over treatment of unpaid stewards is just middle class paternalism', The Third Estate, 12 June 2012.
- Reuben Rosenberg, 'Brendan O’Neill caught with his trousers hanging shamefully around his ankles', The Third Estate, 5 July 2012.
- Andy Rowell, "LobbyWatch: SMC complaint", April 2007. (This is an edited version of a submission made by Andy Rowell to the board of the Science Media Centre).
- Andy Rowell and Bob Burton, “Rising Rhetoric on Genetically Modified Crops, PR Watch, Volume 10 No 1, First quarter 2003.
- Andy Rowell and Jonathan Matthews, "Strange Bedfellows", The Ecologist, May 2003
- John Simpson The War is Dead, Long Live the War: Bosnia – The Reckoning by Ed Vulliamy – review, The Observer, Sunday 22 April 2012
- Mike Small, 'The Faction That Fools the World' Variant Issue 24, Winter 2005, version placed in web archive 20 April 2007
- Smiffy Swindlewatch '07, The Cedar Lounge Revolution, March 4, 2007.
- Spinwatch LM Watch blog
- John Sullivan, As Soon As This Pub Closes ..., 1986 RCP.
- John Sullivan Revolutionary Communist Party, Formerly Revolutionary Communist Tendency From John Sullivan, Go Fourth and Multiply/When This Pub Closes, Socialist Platform, London 2004.First published in 1981 by Dialogue of the Deaf, Box 99, Full Marks Bookshop, 110 Cheltenham Road, Bristol 6.
- David Toube, 'The RCP (heart) Boris', Harry's Place, May 2008
- James Turley, 'Boris gets Spiked', Weekly Worker 722, Thursday 22 May 2008.
- Jenny Turner, 'Who Are They?,' London Review of Books, 8 July 2010
- Usenet Discussion of RCP/LM front groups, from usenet, April 1998.
- John Vidal, 'Eco Soundings: Spiked! lays into Age of Stupid (surprise!)', The Guardian, 24 March 2009.
- Johnny Void, 'Brendan O’Neill is a knob', The Void, 4 July 2012.
- Ed Vulliamy, 'I stand by my story', The Guardian, 2 February 1997.
- Ed Vulliamy, 'Poison in the well of history', The Guardian, 15 March 2000
- Ed Vulliamy, "Torture in Bosnia dismissed as a media 'conspiracy'", The Guardian, 1 March 2010.
- Dave Walker Libertarian Humanism or Critical Utopianism? The Demise of the Revolutionary Communist Party New Interventions, Vol.8 No.3, 1998
- Martin J Walker, "Brave New World of Zero Risk: Covert Strategy in British Science Policy" (book), Slingshot Publications, 2006.
- David Webb, RCP/LM front organisations alt.politics.socialism.trotsky, Google Groups, Apr 8 1998, 7:00 am.
- David Webb, 'Liberalism - Let's Spike It!", Originally published in the Salisbury Review Vol 21 No 4, June 2003, pp.25-28.
- Who Makes the Nazi's? Just When You Thought You'd Forgotten About the RCP: Peter Webb on Milieu Cultures Tuesday, 7 September 2010
- Wikipedia Living Marxism
- Richard Wilson Spiked Online – The rohypnol of web-based news and comment Richard Wilson's blog June 21, 2009 at 4:58 pm
- Richard Wilson Climate change “scepticism” and Spiked Online 'Richard Wilson's blog August 1, 2009 at 3:27 pm
- Richard Wilson Quite contrary: inside the Battle of Ideas New Humanist, Volume 126 Issue 1 January/February 2011.
- Workers' Power The British Left and the Irish War, January 1983. (Chapter on the Irish Freedom Movement, p. 41-9.)