Back to Lobbying Portal
Hanover Communications is a UK-based PR and lobbying firm founded in 1998 by Charles Lewington. The firm was known as Media Strategy until 2007. It lobbies for a large number of pharmaceutical companies (see Clients below).
'Cash for Access'
Hanover was criticised in September 2007 in what was dubbed a 'cash for access' story. A strategy document that Hanover had produced suggested it could organise a trip to Downing Street as part of a £181,000 bid to run the Medical Technology Group, a coalition of industry and patient groups linked to the Association of British Healthcare Industries (ABHI).
According to a report in The Sunday Telegraph, the pitch suggested that Hanover would try to secure a picture with Gordon Brown for £5,100. It also claims that it would seek access to Dawn Primarolo, the Paymaster General. The package was offered for Medical Technology Week, in which a group of patients visits the Treasury, Department of Health and No 10. “We will work to secure photocalls with ministers. The key photocall will be with Gordon Brown,” it says. A document sent to the ABHI also mentions Nicola Murphy, a former adviser to Mr Brown.
Ms Murphy was to join Hanover as an associate director the following month. The pitch says: “As well as . . . a five-year spell in the Treasury, Nicola has been working in the Prime Minister’s private parliamentary office for 12 months handling Gordon Brown’s leadership election.”
- Charles Lewington, founder and MD
- Andrew Harrison
- Sarah Richards
- James Gurling
- Josh Arnold-Forster
- Robert Sullivan
- Alessandra McKenna
- Louise Fish
- Alexa Knight
- Enda Joyce
- Sarah Pearson
- Mark Saxon
- Laura Chisholm. Senior Account Director. Chisholm joined in August 2008 from financial sector lobbying firm Cicero and is a former lobbyist at HBOS and environment desk officer in the shadow Conservative cabinet. She was hired to head up a new advisory service for financial clients. In October 2010 she was the leading new client Goldman Sachs.
- Rebecca Simon
- Lucy Gilchrist was appointed a Senior Account director in November 2010 
Lobbying for the booze industry
In Sept 2007 drinks giant Diageo hired lobbying firm Hanover Communications as its retained UK public affairs agency, to help it in what Diageo described as "challenging policy environment" - The Government was stepping up its efforts to curb binge-drinking. Diageo is thought to be paying Hanover at least £100,000 a year. Hanover MD Charles Lewington said: ‘We will be helping Diageo to raise awareness of its responsible-drinking activities in government. We will also be advising on ongoing discussions with officials about the best way of promoting responsible consumption.’
Lobbying for bankers
In October 2010 Goldman Sachs appointed Hanover as 'fresh agency backing in the UK to help it to keep abreast of the coalition government’s plans for the banking sector" according to Public Affair News. Hanover is working alongside Lexington Communications providing UK political consultancy, and Cicero Consulting, which provides Goldman with EU monitoring. Leading the account for Hanover is senior account director Laura Chisholm.
In April 2011 the Association for Financial Markets in Europe (AFME) secured Hanover to raise its profile across Europe. Formed in late 2009, the AFME lobbies national and international governmental institutions on behalf of the financial industry against what it deems to be unnecessary regulation. The account is thought to be worth in excess of six figures annually, and was to be led by director Laura Chisholm. 
- Fee-paying lobbying clients listed 1 June - 31 August 2011:
Alliance Medical | American Pharmaceutical Group (APG) | B&Q | BSkyB | British Beer and Pub Association | Deltex Medical | Chartered Management Institute (CMI) | Edison Learning | Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) | GE | Goldman Sachs | Government of Alberta | H.E.A.R.T. UK | Hewlett Packard Enterprise Solutions | HomeSun| i-CD Publishing | Jaguar Land Rover London Metropolitan University | Microsoft | NHS National Screening Committee | Nomura | Novartis | Pearson UK | Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT) | Santander | Sanofi-Aventis | SITA UK | Smith and Nephew | United Health
- Lobbying clients listed in Feb 2009:
3 UK | Abbey | Alliance Medical | American Pharmaceutical Group (APG). Comprising: (Abbot | Amgem | Bristol-Myers Squibb | Janssen-Cilag | Lilly | Merck Sharp & Dohme | Pfizer | Proctor & Gamble Pharmaceuticals | Schering-Plough | Wyeth) | AstraZeneca | Bavarian Nordic | BSkyB | Cancer Partners UK | Deltex Medical | Diageo | EDAP TMS | Fortis | Hospital Corporation of America | H.E.A.R.T. UK | Hertfordshire Oil Storage | Hutchison Whampoa (Europe) Ltd | Lockheed Martin UK | Microsoft | Monitor | Novartis | Police Federation | Pru Health | Royal British Legion | Sanofi-aventis | Unilever | United Health | Wyeth
- PR and lobbying clients listed on Hanover website September 2008:
Alliance Medical | American Pharmaceutical Group | Apposite Capital | Association of British Healthcare Industries | Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry | AstraZeneca | Bavarian Nordic | Cholesterol UK | Cancer Partners UK | Cass Business School | Celerant Consulting | Diageo | Defence Medical Welfare Service | Deltex Medical | Dimbleby Cancer Care | Dr Foster Intelligence | DMWS - The St. John and Red Cross Defence Medical Welfare Service | Edap | Fortis | Global Value | Hertfordshire Oil Storage Ltd | Hospital Corporation of America | Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority | HEART UK | Hutchison 3G (UK) | Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales | Intelligent Finance | Kepner-Tregoe | Lockheed Martin | Menzies Aviation | Mizuho International | Monitor | Monterrico Metals | Nationwide | Nationwide Commercial | Nikko Investments | pfeg | Police Federation | The Portland Hospital for Woman and Children | The Priory Group | Rio Tinto | Royal British Legion | SafeHands for Mothers | SAGA | Schering-Plough | Shell Foundation | Social Enterprise Coalition | NHS Cancer Screening Programmes | NHS Sickle Cell & Thalassaemia Screening Programme | Ramsay Healthcare UK | Teachers' TV | The Leadership Centre for Local Government | Unilever | United Health Europe | Wates | Wyeth
Contact, References and Resources
100 Gray's Inn Road
- Website: www.hanovercomms.com
- Sam Coates, "Denial from Downing St as lobbyist offers trips to No 10", The Times, 24 September 2007, accessed 28 November 2008
- The Week in Lobbying, Hanover has hired a new senior consultant from Labour Friends of Israel (LFI). Rebecca Simon makes the switch to Charles Lewington's agency, having been deputy director at LFI. (Accessed: 13 October 2008).
- Hanover Website Our people accessed 24th September 2008
- Hanover Lucy Gilchrist - Senior Account Director, accessed 25 February 2011
- Diageo hires Hanover as alcohol concerns grow, PR Week, 20 Sept 2007
- [Goldman Sachs brings in Hanover for public affairs support http://www.publicaffairsnews.com/no_cache/home/uk-news/news-detail/newsarticle/goldman-sachs-brings-in-hanover-for-public-affairs-support/2/?tx_ttnews[pointer]=10&cHash=01c19bd27c], Public Affairs News, 4 October 2010, accessed 10 March 2011
- Alec Mattinson, Association for Financial Markets in Europe brings in Hanover to raise EU profile prweek.com, 22 March 2011,
- APPC register, quarter to 31 August 2011, acc 6 October 2011
- APPC register, to Nov 2009
- Hanover Website What we do accessed 24th September 2008
- Co-Sponsored event: talk by Jeremy Hunt, 29 October 2008